Welcome to the West Mainline District Page
Our lead church in the West-Mainline District is St. Matthew A.M.E. Church located at 215 N. 57th Street in West Philadelphia. This historical landmark has served the community since 1870.
Ten persons began worshiping together in he home of Peter Kelly on Chelsea Street (now Sumer Street). In the Fall of 1870, the ten organized a church and built a chapel on Race Street, just east of 58th Street. For seven years, they worshiped in Kelly’s Chapel as an independent mission, voting to join the A.U.M.P. Annual Conference in 1877. Then years later they built a church at 58th and Vine Streets, and named it St. Matthew A.U.M.P. Church. The need fora a larger edifice was accomplished 26 years later in 1913 when they dedicated a structure on the corner of 57th and Summer Streets. In 1916, this congregation became a part of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
Thank you for taking a moment to visit the webpage of the Mighty West-Mainline District of the First Episcopal District African Methodist Episcopal Church. We are pleased to share with you highlights of our District. The West-Mainline District consist of eighteen (18) unique local church congregations located in various communities throughout the City of Philadelphia and the surrounding towns and townships in the surrounding areas of Chester, Delaware and Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
As the Presiding Elder of this great District along with my lovely wife, Mrs. Sylvia P. Lett, District Consultant, we invite you to visit one of our local church societies near you to experience the warm and friendly hospitality of our clergy and lay members as we celebrate through Worship and Praise each Sunday and in our Bible Study fellowships each week.
There are a diversity of ministries within the West-Mainline District all structured to meet the spiritual and practical needs of multiple generations, of people regardless of age, culture or social economic backgrounds. Our congregations offer traditional as well as contemporary worship experiences designed to reach and meet a wide range of people. We pray that you will consider visiting with us and joining us to build the Kingdom of God while also bringing your time, talents and treasure to help us grow the House of God that we may collectively be a blessing to one another and those God has called us to serve as Disciples of Christ Jesus.
Please register on the form below so that we may keep in touch with you and share all that is happening throughout the West-Mainline District as well as the Philadelphia Conference and First Episcopal District. God bless you and hope to see and meet you soon!
- Saint Matthew A.M.E. Church – Philadelphia
- Mount Pisgah A.M.E. Church – Philadelphia
- Jones Tabernacle A.M.E. Church – Philadelphia
- Ward Emmanuel A.M.E. Church – Philadelphia
- Bethel A.M.E. Church – Ardmore
- Bethel A.M.E. Church – Bryn Mawr
- Grimes A.M.E. Church – Phoenixville
- First A.M.E Church – Sharon Hill
- New Bethel A.M.E. Church – Willow Grove
- Bethel A.M.E. Church – Donwington
- Saint Paul A.M.E. Church – Malvern
- Mount Zion A.ME. Church – Devon
- Allen A.M.E. Church – Oxford
- Saint John A.M.E. Church – Wayne
- Saint John A.M.E. Church – Conshohocken
- Bethel A.M.E. Church – Kennett Square
- Ebenezer A.M.E. Church – Glenolden
- Josie D. Heard A.M.E. Church – Philadelphia